Just wanted to pop in and catch you up on the basement remodel. This past week and a half, the contractors have been working on the framing and drywall. We had a gap between drywall and framing over the weekend. So, we had an electrician (family friend) come out and rewire the basement to add recessed lighting and more outlets throughout.
I totally forgot to take pictures during the electrical part of the renovation. Not that I would have been able to tell you much about the process anyway! Good news is, I’ve asked him to come back and do a how-to post with me. We’ll show you how to add overhead lighting to a room that already has a switch-operated outlet. If that is something you’re interested in definitely check back or subscribe for updates!
This post will be a photo-heavy post. We are definitely not framing or drywall experts (hence hiring out), but I wanted to share the process with you from start to finish so you could follow along with the transformation.
I will caption each of the photos to give you an idea of what you’re looking at. If you want to see some before-and-afters from the demolition phase, click here.
The area where the washing machine is sitting will be the playroom.
The room to to the right of the washing machine (with the light on) is the laundry and utility room.
We removed the closet from under the stairs. We’re planning to put a built-in bench under there to create a reading nook.
The area in the back left corner will be Brian’s new office/man cave. We’re planing to close that area off with sliding barn doors. The play room area will stay open.
Here’s a close up of the playroom space.
And here’s a look inside the man cave. The little closet on the left is where the sump pump is.
Alright, so that was all the framing. Now for the drywall. This is when it finally starts to look pretty!
Once the framing went in, we realized that the bottom step ended too close to the wall at the bottom of the stairs. We didn’t want to have to make too many changes to the staircase, so Brian removed the bottom step and extended the second step. Now the final step turns the corner and we no longer feel like we’re walking into a wall at the bottom of the stairs. The platform is built out of 2 x 6 framing boards and attached to the surrounding studs.
This is the new utility closet in the laundry room. The water heater used to be on the left of the furnace (click here to see before photos). Now it sits opposite the furnace (behind the wall with the outlet). We’ll put bifold louvered doors to close this space in.
Here’s a look into the laundry room (from the play room). The utility closet is on the right side. That little window opening is to the crawl space. We’re still trying to think of a creative way to cover it but still keep it accessible.
Here is the reading nook under the stairs. If you look back at the before photos in the first two ‘laundry room remodel’ posts you’ll see that this space has come a long way. That wall on the left had so many…layers? I don’t even know how to describe it.
Here’s another look at the landing Brian did. That closet space on the right is where our main water shut of is. We decided to just keep it the way it was before.
Here is a view of the entire space from the far corner of the family room. The wall to my back is where we’ll aim our projector. I can’t wait for movie nights down here! The space on the far left is Brian’s new office. The space just to the right of that is the new play room (with the laundry beyond that). The column stayed because we didn’t want the extra expense of relocating the plumbing. BUT! It now has a smaller footprint.
Here is a look into Brian’s new office.
And a look into the playroom.
And then a look at the entire basement from the bottom of the stairs. The open space on the left will be our basement family room/theatre.
So happy to be rid of the dangling lights, terrible textured ceilings and crazy walls. It’s finally starting to look like what I had in my head when I convinced Brian we should remodel the ENTIRE basement.
We are hoping to get the painting done over the next week. That way, we can have the carpet installed by the end of the month. Tune in next week to see how much we get done!